UPDATES - WHILE WE'VE BEEN AWAY

Hey there peeps,

We should really begin by apologising for the lack of content over this last month or so. From both of us...sorry. But hopefully this update will explain why, and what we’ve been up to. 

First on the list is some weeks ago Alessia found out she’s pregnant. We’re both thrilled to bits and I can’t wait until it’s born so we can start teaching him or her stuff. Having trouble agreeing on names at the mo but she’s not due until around Christmas so we’ve still got time. Her 20 week scan is coming up shortly so if we want we’ll be able to find out if it’s a boy or girl. Happy days. 

Item number two. One of my sources of income comes from farming sweet potatoes. Every year I help my in-laws plant, weed, water, turn and finally harvest the crop. It’s a process beginning around the end of March and by mid September they are ready to be dug up. Apart from the hot sun it’s also hard going on the legs, back and joints but it’s also peaceful, allowing my mind switch off and ponder. I’ll be in the field next week with a big stick turning the leaves for the last time this year. More on this in a future post.

The other week I borrowed my brother-in-law’s van to pick up 4 massive shipping pallets. When I say massive I mean it. These bad boys came in at 2.5x3 metres. Our friendly neighbour had to help me unload. Dismantling was surprisingly easy for a change. 

I didn’t split a single board. I used the block of wood and heavy mallet method. You have to flip the pallet upside down and raise it off the ground with some bricks, then position the block of wood so that one side is flat against the board you want to remove and the perpendicular side touches the pallet runner or rail. Give it a whack and repeat all the way down the line and once the nails come loose gravity allows the slat to drop to the floor. Maybe I got lucky though because some pallets are a nightmare. The amount of nails they use is a crime. 


Next is a brand new build project in progress. I won’t say what it is, but what I will say is it’s for the babe. When it’s complete they’ll be a separate blog post in the near future. For sure it’s my most ambitious wood working project to date, again using shipping pallets. Only this time I’ve taken things a step further by gluing the slats edge to edge to make panels. Really excited to see the finished product. Check out these snaps for a sneak preview.    


Have a look at these beauties. Home grown juicy goodness.


 So with a little one on the way we’ve been thinking that for this winter we’ll be needing to heat the house slightly more than in past years. Our idea is to install a small, cheap wood burning stove upstairs and have it connected to an external chimney attached to the side of the house. Most mornings when I walk Jenna I’ll come back with Jenna’s leash hooked to the belt loops of my trousers and a hefty log on my shoulder. Free fuel for the fire. I like it. 

And finally...look what Alessia made with her new loom. Oooooohhh!!


Thanks again guys for your patience, you won’t have to wait so long next time, I promise.

Bye for now

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow